Painter Judy Martin lives in Brighton and has written many art books since graduating from Reading University. This book showcases all the knowledge and expertise she has learned in her education and practice over the years, in a way that is accessible and approachable for beginners yet suitably elaborate and thorough for more intermediate artists.
Here are some examples of how the book is laid out:
- Types of pencils and supplies
- How to hold and grip pencils for different effects
- Types of paper texture and how that affects coloured pencils
- Mark making and rendering techniques (stipping, dashes, pointillism, pencil rubbing, etc.)
- Mixing colours
- Highlights & shadows
- Using an eraser
- Using fixatives
- Colouring a wash effect with watercolour pencils
- Creating space, light and distance on landscapes
- Colouring different types of objects (fruits, still life, nature, animals, plants, flowers, portraits, etc.)
You can buy the book on Amazon here.